To give your home a sense of place, value and some curb appeal thrown in you need to professionally landscape your outdoor space. This is a sure fire way to a quick resale and adds a very good first impression, which gives you a 20% edge over rival home sellers in the real estate market.
The American Society of Landscape Architects otherwise known as ASLA suggests that homeowners invest about 10% of their residential property’s value in landscaping. Landscape architecture and design goes way beyond just planting trees, shrubs or flowering plants and includes hardscaping and softscaping features like fences, pathways, landscape lighting, fountains, decks, walkways, patios and the like. A landscape designer can work with to create a practical and functional outdoor space that meets your needs and your lifestyle. Most homeowners take help from a professional landscaping company to undertake landscaping projects for their outdoors. If you would like to make sure that your project is a good investment, follow these steps mentioned below:
- Hire a Professional - When you hire a landscape contractor, you need to make sure they are experts in their field of work. These professional are well versed in horticulture, botany, engineering and landscape design. They will be able to give you a detailed plan customized to your needs and budget plan and that you can follow easily. They are experts in installation of soils, property grading and irrigation. If you’re looking for some basic advice or planning to install design and structural elements for your garden or yard, always look to a professional. This is a major investment that you will be undertaking like all building projects, so it’s important to the proper guidance from a professional before beginning any kind of work.
- Assess and Plan your Landscape – Property assessment is the first step that needs to be taken before any kind of landscape renovation. A professional arborist can help differentiate between plants that need a bit of care and attention and those that need to be replaced. A landscape designer will recommend foliage that is suitable for your lifestyle, environment and region. They will always look at key areas of enhancement that will create a focal point for your outdoor space. An above-grade deck, on-grade patio, complementary plantings in the front yard, a front walk and exterior landscape lighting are all attractive to the mind’s eye. Landscape lighting is one feature that goes beyond security to showcase the outdoor natural environment after dusk tree lights, up-lights and down-lights.
- Follow Landscaping trends – The hottest trend that is making its way into landscape design particularly in warm temperature climatic conditions is the terrace extension or otherwise called outdoor room. There are a lot of family rooms with an outdoor terrace that facilitates a marriage between the outdoor space with interior décor. To help both the outdoor and indoor spaces amalgamate one to the other, building materials are used to complement them. Homeowners are investing more in the rear of their residential property as the interest in property enhancement and landscaping is an extension of the boom in home remodeling and improvement.
- Beware of Landscaping pitfalls – The biggest mistake homeowners tend to make is a slow progressive approach to landscaping. Many begin a project without a concrete plan and the result which is sad to say a real mess of installations and plantings that will give the property a disorganized look and feel. A professional landscape design will provide a polished look that will enhance the beauty of the outdoors and add to its value. Only a landscaping company will create a prepared plan that will lead the homeowner to a beautiful makeover of their outdoor property while mirroring their wishes and remaining within a stipulated budget.
- Keep it Green – Landscape maintenance is a vital feature to protect your investment and keep your property looking its very best throughout the year. You have to be truly honest to yourself if you know that you don’t have the time or the inclination to maintain your outdoor space. This is where a landscaping company comes in to help you devise a schedule and plan for upkeep and maintenance. You also need to discuss plant and yard maintenance with your landscape company, who will suggest low-maintenance foliage and vegetation if backyard puttering and gardening are not your favorite things.
By following these simple steps, you can be assured that your landscape will turn out to be a good investment. Also remember that everything doesn’t have to happen at one period of time and you can consider a yearly plan that has different plantings maturing and adding to the landscape’s features each year. This method will help you remain within your budget, cost-wise and time-wise while still progressing toward a complete, systematic landscape renovation.